Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Arlington, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Service Max Heating & Air Conditioning can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Service Max Heating & Air Conditioning in Arlington a call to begin. Give us a shout at 360-255-5857 or arrange an appointment with us online.